Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Wednesday Night Musings IV


Glorantha!
Back in the day, I played Advanced Dungeons and Dragons because that is what my friends played. There were some other games out there, but we had all invested in AD&D so that is what we played. I was the only one looking at the other options, and that was more curiosity than any real urge to try a different system. There was this one game called Runequest, which had a weird fantasy setting called Glorantha, a Bronze Age world where elves were actually mobile plants and the closest thing to hobbits were anthropomorphic ducks. I was okay with cat people and centaurs in my fantasy games, but duck men? I passed on Runequest.

Not a duck to be taken seriously.
As it turns out, with 35 years of hindsight, I had passed on a good thing. I have lately looked back into Runequest, its various editions and improvements over the years, and oddly enough, at those very ducks that turned me off from it in the first place. See, the ducks seemed like Donald-Daffy-Howard analogues when I first looked at it. As it turned out, the ducks of Glorantha called themselves Durulz and were portrayed in the setting as grim, fatalistic warriors stuck living next to the Zombie Swamp, with a mystical connection to the Death God. These were ducks who wanted very badly to kick serious ass against the undead that regularly invaded their home and also the Lunar Empire who had offered bounties for duck kills.

Ducks that will kill your sorry ass and eat your innards for a snack.
The only problem being, by the time I realized that Runequest was a great set of rules, with a great setting in Glorantha, and that ducks are not what I had expected, my RPG days had passed me by. I pretty much only do tabletop miniature gaming these days (also computer gaming,  but that doesn't count for the purpose of this.) So, I was looking for some duck miniatures that I could build a small army from, and also a fantasy rule set that would allow the creation of a custom force so I could field those ducks.Rebel Miniatures produce a set of wicked looking ducks, not cartoony at all, and I was hooked. So I ordered some during their Spring Sale, did some amazing conversion work on them, and was set to play.

Slightly out of focus, but we can deal with that, right? Right?
After an abortive attempt at using my ducks for Brink Of Battle (my gaming group disintegrated before I ever had a chance to seriously play,) I boxed them up and took them to Storage. But recently, when I looked at Frostgrave, I realized two very important things: 1) my Durulz warband would be perfect for Frostgrave, and 2) Frostgrave is the perfect rules set to play some Glorantha skirmish games. So, my various plans for all sorts of Glorantha-themed Warbands has a chance to see the light of day once again!

An entire duck village... dedication, I tell you.


No comments:

Post a Comment