Thursday, November 12, 2015

Frostgrave! Or, A Bold New Direction v2.0

My next blog post was supposed to be about my Persian DBA army. Which I am still painting. But there's this new fantasy skirmish game called Frostgrave, you see. And I saw a lot about Frostgrave when it was being developed and when it first came out; really my impression was, "thank you but not for me."

And then I met another local gamer (Bashytubits from TMP.) He invited me to a WWII naval game, which was so much fun we did it again a few weeks later, and at the second game he brought the Frostgrave book and a few spare plastic miniatures for me to work with. And I was hooked. Here, we had a game that only used 10 miniatures a side, and the warbands could be built of literally anything. My ducks and flamingos are coming out of storage, I have started a warband from the donated plastics, and my head is literally spinning from the possibilities. So I had to start a whole new blog (no, really, there was no other choice.) So, without further nonsense, here is my initial Frostgrave work.



Without bothering to read the rules, I hastily assembled some models, giving them greek helmets and shields just for fun. And for good measure, I made some cavalry for them too.



After reading the rules, I realized that six guys with spears and shields would take me over my Gold budget for a starting warband. And there is no cavalry in the game. So four guys got re-armed. And since I decided to participate in Mo'vember as well, they also got some beards sticking out from under their helmets.

Beards. Now that is just strange for me. I almost always have clean-shaven models. So, now this is Punkrabbitt's very own story time theater:

"Once upon a time, there was a wizard and apprentice from the southerly climes. They had travelled northward to plunder plunder a fabled ruined city. They brought some professional soldiers with them, but also hired local help when they arrived in the north. Pale, bearded local help. Untrained, drunk, and formerly unemployed local help. In a kinder, gentler future, they would be easily identified as 'Thugs.' And so the wizard and his warband entered the city..."

I still have no idea about what miniature I am going to use for the wizard and apprentice. I must make a pilgrimage to Storage and explore my options...

3 comments:

  1. Welcome to our corner of the asylum, Punkrabbit! Are you just visiting or will you be staying? Nice start on your warband and your explanation for your hairy Nottherners made me laugh. Could they not just be Spartans?
    Look forward to your progress.
    Regards Jez

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No they can't be Spartans, they haven't got shields!

      Gaming while laughing is the best kind of gaming!

      Delete
  2. I see you've met one of the locals Rabbitt, just don't let him tell you who any of your figures look like, it's fatal!!

    Great start I'm really looking forward to seeing how this warband ends up, I love your take on the concept, and cant wait to see what you turn up as your magic user.

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete